1 large sweet onion
3 cans of diced tomatoes w/roasted garlic
2 cans tomato paste
3 Tbs sugar
3 Tbs white vinegar
1 bunch chopped cilantro
1 Tbs salt6 jalapenos
3 habanero peppers (for HOT salsa)
1 pair of latex gloves6-7 qt containers or jars
1. Roast or blacken all peppers either in the broiler or over an open flame. All sides need to be blistered or black. Set aside in a paper bag or a bowl covered w/ plastic wrap.
2. Dice all the tomatoes, put into a large bowl. Dice Onion (I put it in the food processor), add to tomatoes. Add the rest of the ingredients except the peppers.
3. Split into two batches, one for med and one for hot.
4. Put your gloves on. Take your peppers and a knife and peel the blackened skin off the peppers. Once you've done that cut the stem off and de-seed and de-vain the peppers. If you want even hotter salsa leave the seeds and veins in.
5. For the med salsa, take 4 of the jalapeno peppers and chop them and put them in the food processor with half of one batch and chop on low for 1 min. Add back to batch and mix. Set aside.
6. For the hot salsa,take the remaining jalapeno peppers and the habanero peppers and add to the food processor with half of the remaining tomato mixture and chop on low for 1 min. (I usually process all of the hot so I can tell the difference between the hot and the mild, also on how chunky you like your salsa) Add back to remaining batch and mix.
7. You can can the salsa or eat it fresh,and share if you like. You need several containers to store it. Keep it refrigerated if you don't plan on canning. Makes 6-7 quarts.
Great for parties